Page begin -
Logo - University of Milano-Bicocca
Go to the Highly accessible area
Go to the Content page
Go to the End of content
Go to the Main menu
Go to the Navigation Bar (location)
Go to the Navigation menu (tree)
Go to the Commands list
Go to the Further readings
Go to the Bottom Menu
|Commands list|
Information on entry and stay in Italy
Practical information for foreigners intending to come to Italy

Every citizen of the European Union has the right to enter Italy, move and reside freely in Italy or within the territory of another Member State other than that of which he/she is a national. Different formalities are required depending on the length of stay (exceeding three months or shorter stay).

If you are not an European citizen, you may need to apply for an entry visa to come to Italy.

The entry visa

An entry visa is an authorization which enables non european citizens to enter Italy. It's a printed visa sticker that is attached to your passport or other valid travel document. 

Information about the entry visa

Do you need an entry visa?

The residence permit

If you are a non-EU national and plan to come to Italy for a period exceeding three months, you must apply for a residence permit.

What is a residence permit to stay in Italy?

How and where can you apply for the residence permit?

How to fill in the resident permit application form (Information are provided in several language; you can select the language of information on the left section “istruzioni multilingue”)


The tax code

In Italy, the codice fiscale (tax code)  identifies a citizen in all dealings, not only of fiscal nature, with the Italian public authorities and other administrations.

How to apply for the tax code

The health insurance

Foreign students must have a healthcare coverage to be able to stay in Italy.

If you are an EU citizen, The New European Health Insurance Card gives access to immediate necessary care under the same conditions as nationals of that country. Anyway, if you are planning to stay in Italy for more than 3 months, you may be required a paper form (such as the S1 form).

If you are not an EU citizen, you must have a health insurance in order to obtain the residence permit to stay in Italy.

You can take out a private health insurance, subscribed in your Home Country or in Italy, but please note that not all private insurances are accepted for residence permit applications, so you should  check that the insurance you choose is recognized.

Alternatively, You can register with the National Health Service (SSN) (GUIDEBOOKS ARE PROVIDED IN SEVERAL LANGUAGES). Please note that some Countries have special reciprocal Health Care Agreements with Italy (you can check the list here, only in italian)

No further readings for this page

An empty image - ignore

© 2005-2016 University of Milano-Bicocca - Piazza dell'Ateneo Nuovo, 1 - 20126, Milano - tel. 02 6448 1 - last update of this page 31/07/2017